In honour of National Pheasant Week, which takes places from the 17th to the 24th of November, our talented Sous Chef James Welch shares his surprisingly simple recipe for the delicious confit pheasant leg & pistachio roll with filo pastry, beetroot and red cabbage ‘ketchup’. A sure-fire winter dinner party winner.
For the pheasant roll:
• 4 pheasant legs.
• 500g duck fat
• ½ bulb of garlic
• Small bunch of thyme
• 3 tbsp duck fat
• Pinch of salt
• Filo pastry
• Melted butter
For the ketchup:
• ¼ red cabbage
• 2 large beetroots
• 250ml red wine
• 250ml red wine vinegar
• 150g caster sugar
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 star anise
• 50ml port
• Watercress to garnish
• Place the 4 pheasant legs in a deep tray with the 500g of duck fat, with the legs submerged, and cook at 160C for 1 ½ hours*
• Leave to cool and then remove the meat from the legs.
• Mix the meat with the 3 tablespoons of duck fat, salt and pistachios.
• Cut 3 sheets of filo pastry approx. 30cm x30cm. Brush each layer with the melted butter and place all on top of each other. Place 2 tbsp. of the leg mixture to one side and roll into a log, folding the sides in half way.
• Brush all over with the melted butter.
• Cook at 180C for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
*While the pheasant legs cook, prepare the ketchup:
• Slice the red cabbage and beetroot as thinly as possible.
• Put all the ingredients in the saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer on a medium heat until 2/3 or the liquid has gone and the vegetables are soft.
• Remove the spices and blend until you have a smooth puree.
• Season to taste.
Dot the ketchup around the plate and place the confit rolls on top. Serve and enjoy!
To book a table, get in touch with our team on 01243 519 444 or email@example.com
Give a special gift.
Fancy being part of our dynamic team?